Care Experienced and Estranged Students Forum
(Formerly Looked After Children forum)
Current chair for academic year 2016-17: Lucia Byrne, Education Liaison Manager, St Mary’s University Twickenham London
A consultative forum for those working to support progression to Higher Education (HE) for looked after children.
This forum is open to staff from member schools/colleges and attendance is encouraged.
This forum’s objectives include:
- To develop sets of learning or information materials or signpost to existing resources
- To jointly deliver activities with the target group
- To jointly deliver activities with those supporting and advising this group including teachers, careers staff, local authorities, social workers and HE practitioners
- To maximise opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, networking and information sharing.
During the academic year 2016-17, the forum will deliver the following:
- Support other groups of students with similar characteristics including estranged students, refugees and unaccompanied asylum seeker children (UASC)
- Deliver the ‘Life after University’ event for care leavers currently in HE
- Support the Stand Alone pledge for estranged students, with a focus on outreach
- Support foster carers and their knowledge of HE and student finance
- Continue to support the National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL) in London.
For more information, please contact Lauren Hedges, Operations Manager, at email@example.com.