This Disability Action Forum provides a consultative assembly for those staff working to support progression to HE for learners with physical and 'hidden' disabilities, including those with dyslexia and challenges with their mental health.
- To joint deliver activities with the target group;
- To joint deliver activities with those supporting and advising this group, including school and college staff, teachers, SENCOs, those in positions supporting students with SEND, careers staff, parents and HE practitioners;
- To maximise opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, networking and information sharing;
- To provide continuing professional development (CPD) opportunities for forum members;
- To facilitate conversations and supporting best practice within institution members;
- To provide sector updates and guidance.
E-communities of practice
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, AccessHE has cancelled all scheduled in-person events, meetings and activity indefinitely. We see this period of virtual engagement as an opportunity to extend the ways in which the Forum can support members and partners through virtual “communities of practice”. As such, the Forum will meet for the remainder of the 2020-21 academic year (dates below) virtually.
To join the e-community (Microsoft Teams) or for general inquiries, please contact us.
A repository of historic materials, papers and resources related to the Forum. Click here for access (password-protected).
To request password access, please contact us or message us on Microsoft Teams.
Exploring regulatory change and related themes, the Forum shared best practice case studies across its HEI membership, participated in CPD sessions on the EU Web Accessibility Directive, engaged with the Office for Students (OfS) on disability matters, coordinated a University Information Day for Disabled and Dyslexic Learners, organised a member survey on outreach with disabled learners and inclusive practices and shared good practice around mental health and post-HE transitions.
2020 and beyond
Under the theme of ‘Emerging Disability Matters: Approaches to HE Support’, the Forum delivered University Information Day 2019 for Disabled and Dyslexic Learners and, under the guidance of a new Chair for 2020-21, is developing a resource toolkit raising awareness of the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) for schools, colleges and FE colleges, expected to launch in 2021. The Forum continues to host best practice discussion around topics relating to disabled students in HE and is exploring collaboration opportunities with the Disabled Students Commission and CPD sessions on sport and wellbeing, mental health and related topics.