This Action Forum provides a consultative assembly for those staff working to support progression to HE for learners with physical and ‘hidden’ disabilities, including those with dyslexia and challenges with their mental health.
Forum Chair: TBC
- To joint deliver activities with the target group.
- To joint deliver activities with those supporting and advising this group, including school and college staff, teachers, SENCOs, those in positions supporting students with SEND, careers staff, parents and HE practitioners.
- To maximise opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, networking and information sharing.
- To provide continuing professional development (CPD) opportunities for forum members.
- To facilitate conversations and supporting best practice within institution members.
- To provide sector updates and guidance.
Under the theme of ‘regulatory change’, the Forum shared best practice case studies across the HEI Membership, received CPD training on the EU Web Accessibility Directive, engaged with the Office for Students (OfS) on disability matters, coordinated a University Information Day for Disabled and Dyslexic Learners, organised a member survey on outreach with disabled learners and inclusive practices and shared good practice around mental health and post-HE transitions.
2019 and beyond
The Forum theme will be ‘Emerging Disability Matters: Approaches to HE Support’. Provisional CPD training sessions will focus on: gender transition, sport and wellbeing, mental health/acute presentations and related topics. Planned outputs include (but are not limited to): University Information Day 2019; a resource toolkit raising awareness of the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) for schools, colleges and FE colleges; collaboration with the Disabled Students Commission.