Mature and Part-Time Students Forum
This Action Forum aims to provide a consultative platform to share best practice and work collaboratively to support the challenges that Members face to improve access to, success in and progression out of, Higher Education (HE) for mature and part-time (M&PT) students, in line with targets outlined by the HE regulator, Office for Students (OfS). For more information or to join the mailing list for this group, please contact us.
Chair: Karen Western, Widening Access Officer, Brunel University London.
- To develop sets of learning or information materials or signpost to existing resources.
- To jointly deliver activities with the target group.
- To jointly deliver activities with those supporting and advising this group including college teaching and careers staff, employers, local authorities and HE practitioners.
- To maximise opportunities for collaboration, partnerships, networking, information sharing and best practice.
This newly-established Forum coordinated a community engagement audit to understand existing relationships with mature audiences in community groups and venues, and determined its future themes around contextual admissions and working internally within institutions to champion the needs of mature and part-time learners.
2019 and beyond
The Forum’s planned outputs include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborative data analysis on M&PT student success/attrition in partnership with the Open University (OU) – phase 1
- Focused IAG resource – phase 2
- M&PT student video case study series on Access, Success and Progression
- Contextual admissions CPD training